It’s a new year (well, almost a month in…get it together Casie) and new year’s mean setting goals for yourself and trying to become a better you than last year. That’s exactly what I’m doing this year by setting a reading goal for myself.
Before going to college I read all. the. time. I’m talking books on books on books. Okay, I’m exaggerating, I didn’t read a ton, but compared to a lot of people I knew at the time, I was reading a lot more than the average teen.
Then, I chose to be an English major and reading became an assignment, project, or exam. No thank you. Actually, it was a pretty awesome assignment, but overall it did take the fun out of reading for me. It felt like (and it was) a requirement instead of something I just loved to do.
BUT THIS YEAR THAT CHANGES! That’s right, you heard it here first, I’m reading for fun again…by assigning myself a specific number of books I want to read this year and choosing specific titles I should read this year…so I’m basically being my own professor and forcing myself to read more.
Here’s a list of books I want to read this year:
- Turtles All The Way Down – John Green
- Scrappy Little Nobody – Anna Kendrick
- The Last Black Unicorn – Tiffany Haddish
- The Hate U Give – Angie Thomas
- Big Little Lies – Liane Moriarty
- The Immortalist’s – Chloe Benjamin
- The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
- The Gender Game – Bella Forrest
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coehlo
- My (not so) Perfect Life – Sophie Kinsella
Here’s a list of books I’d recommend to you:
- Paper Towns – John Green
- Song of Solomon – Toni Morrison
- Milk and Honey – Rupi Kaur
- The Sun and Her Flowers – Rupi Kaur
- Yes Please! – Amy Poehler
- You are a Badass – Jen Sincero
- Bel Canto – Ann Patchett
- It’s Kind of a Funny Story – Ned Vizzini
- Woman Warrior – Maxine Hong Kingston
- The Latehomecomer – Kao Kalia Yang
What else should be on my list? What author’s am I totally missing? I’m all about a good dystopian novel, memoirs, and simple little reads.
P.S. Become my friend on GoodReads so we can see what we’re all reading 🙂
P.P.S. I’m going to need a bigger bookshelf after this year.