December 19, 2015 was the day I graduated college and every day since then has been nothing like what I imagined.
This year has been something every young adult would be incredibly thankful for. I’ve been in a city I love, gotten a big girl pay check every two weeks since I finished school, get the chance to live alone, and so much more. I’ve learned a lot within the past year and I’d really like to share little tidbits with you.
- Don’t leave your gas oven on all night. Your apartment will be very hot and it’s a fire hazard (yes, I’m blessed I didn’t set my apartment on fire).
- Bath and Body Works takes candles back if you don’t like how they smell when they burn. I know, I was shocked, too. You’re welcome.
- No matter what, pursue your dreams and never stop.
- Understand how communication is a two way street. Don’t allow yourself to be the only person ever putting effort into something.
- Sometimes, Netflix wins over reading, cleaning, etc. That’s okay.
- Drinking less = becoming a light weight again = saving money.
- Spending time with your family becomes even more precious.
- Budgeting is smart, otherwise it comes time to pay rent and you’re scrambling to get your funds in order.
- Life is not like a sitcom.
- I still don’t know how to fold a fitted sheet.
- Social media can get you in trouble.
- 23 is not old.
- Saying “yes” to doing things when you feel like spending the night alone is always a good idea.
- Reconnecting with old friends is one of the best things to do.
- Reconnecting with old friends can be challenging, too.
- It’s okay to be experiencing life differently than your friends.
- You’re allowed to outgrow and move on from people.
- Never stop learning.
- Blankets are the best way to stay warm in the winter.
- Your past professors will always be there for you and be your best resource.
- Your desire for a dog will only grow stronger after your landlord tells you no.
- A year goes by really fast.
I’m thankful for my education and how it prepared me for the job I have, the life I choose to live, and the connections I made from it. I still can’t believe I’m a year out of college. Every day has been a hard, learning experience, and overall incredibly rewarding. This is not the place I thought I would be a year ago, but here I am.
I’m thankful for my amazing friends I’ve made at work. I’m thankful for the friends who have stuck by my side through the hard days and good days. I’m thankful for my family for talking to me whenever I’m walking to and from work every day.
Year 1 of being a full-fledged adult: check.
P.S. Can anyone tell how thankful I am? ;P